Friday, June 10, 2011

The Hazards of Children in the Garden

So after the girls went down for their naps, first I froze in the basement (my Hunky Geek likes to keep it down to tundra there at his home office space) to read my groups and facebook, then to warm up I went outside to check on my herb garden.  I'd wanted to wait to see if we needed to put a dripline in, both because we have never needed to before, and I have to decide what else to put in to fill in where I gave some of the herbs to a new neighbor.  What I saw made me cringe....basil about 75% yellow, cilantro and dill about 10% yellow...the rest looked to be okay.  So...I go over to the hose reel to get the hose so I could water them.  Pulled...and barely a budge.  Pulled harder...this time a few inches.  Kept trying, and not getting much.  Finally I lifted the iid...and I saw the problem.  Yesterday I'd seen our 2 terrors playing with the water faucet and around the hose reel, but didnt think to look at what they'd done.  What theyd managed to do was to pull parts of the hose reel out, and off the reel in the housing, making it incredibly difficult to turn.  After about 10 minutes I managed to get most of it straightened out, pulled the hose out and watered the plants.  Unfortunately, when I tried to reel the hose back in, it was still not laying flat, so it looks like that will be a job for HG when he gets home.

Now that Ive decompressed some, do I dare to try harvesting some lettuce, or checking out the roses?  Since its past time for the girls to be up from their naps, I dare not...not until they're up too.  Little Kitty (Kitty was her birth mother's nickname, and she looks spitting image how her mother did) would get up fine on her own, but until we get Mini-me (our 2 year old who looks spitting image of me at her age) out her crib and into a bed...she could be either screaming her head off and I wouldn't know it, or she could try to climb out on her own (shes gotten a leg over on several occasions) and get hurt.  And before I get all kinds of crap from people about why dont I get her out of that crib like last week.... 2 reasons.  First, until HG's last paycheck, money's been pretty tight.  Second, there's not been enough time to get everything else AND that done too.  Plus...have you tried to take 2 rambunctious children solo furniture shopping??  I dont relish that thought....I'll wait until my next day that both are in daycare to go checking things out.  (It'll be this next Tuesday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment