Friday, July 22, 2011

Mom's Night Out

So HG has this big project at work thats coming to a head.  (We have had to reschedule our vacation to Cedar Point because of said project.)  Last Sunday he worked on it.  Monday night he worked late on it (didnt get home until after 10PM).  Ditto Tuesday and Wednesday...only Wednesday he got home even later, as he missed the last bus going to the stop he parks his Jeep at.  So he took another bus to a different stop and caught a cab to the Jeep, and got home close to midnight.  His coming home at a normal time yesterday felt like a short day for him, he said.  Last week one of my friends I used to work with had posted on Facebook about Ladies night at a bar nearby every Thursday night.  After the 3 nights dealing with the girls solo, especially with them asking for their Daddy, and whining that they couldn't see him, I decided I needed a break.  So after the girls had had their dinner, were changed for bed, and had been read to, he took over and I left.

When I got to where the bar was, of course the spaces right in front of it were all full, so I drove around the block looking to see if I could find anything, then I just parked in the parking garage nearby and walked over.  At first I was looking for my friend, but upon learning she wouldn't be there for another couple hours, I just settled at a bar in front of a Paw Sox game on tv.  It took a wee bit to figure out how to get the special prices ($3 martinis, wine and drafts, $5 cocktails, and half price appetizers), but once that was done and I was sitting there with my chocolate martini and a plate of chicken fingers, life was good.  I talked to a couple who were there next to me.  We got talking about our kids (their son, 4 next Monday, and our 2 girls)...then they moved around the corner.  So I sat there watching the game, munching and sipping, and looking over my facebook feed.  Came upon another posting by the same friend about getting a free drink, so I inquired and after the martini, had that.  In the midst of that another woman came over and sat down, and we struck up a conversation.  How she was there visiting a friend who was working that night, was from Pittsburg, PA but was relocating to Boston for graduate studies  in the fall,  and on and on.  We had a nice talk...I showed off all 3 kids, bragged on HG, we talked about Boston...and in the midst of it my friend came in for work early.  She was sooo psyched to see me!    (Somewhere in the midst of all that I got an espresso martini too.)  So my new friend and I kept talking until I had finished that, and decided it was probably time to be heading home.  (5:15 comes pretty early!)  So I settled up my tab...after 2 martinis and chicken fingers, even with tip it came to less than $15! I'd say this is a place worth remembering!

When I got home, Bill was not impressed with my state..."You're staggering...you gotta watch that" but it was a good night....and just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment